What is Sports Premium Funding?
The government gives extra funding to improve provision of Physical Education (PE) and sport in primary schools. The aim of this funding is to make sure every pupil of primary age can do sport with a PE or Sports specialist, whilst encouraging the development of healthy, active lifestyles. This dedicated primary PE and Sport Premium was announced in March 2013 and began in the following September 2013. The funding is ‘ring-fenced’ which means that it can only be spent on the provision of PE and Sport.
For 2017 to 2018, the funding has been based on the number of pupils in Year 1 to Year 6 and calculated as follows:
- Schools with 17 or more pupils receive £16 000 plus £10 per pupil
The funding goes directly to primary school head teachers so that they can decide how best to use it to provide sporting activities for pupils. For example, the funding can be used to:
- Hire specialist PE teachers
- Hire qualified sports coaches to work with teachers
- Provide existing staff with teaching resources to help them teach PE and sport
- Support and involve the least active children by running or extending schools sports clubs
- Run sports competitions or increase pupil’s participation in the School Games
- Run sports activities with other schools
At St. Anthony’s, we agree that:
- the money must be used so that all children benefit, regardless of their sporting ability and special needs
- staff should get access to training opportunities and continued professional development and they should all assist in the development of the sports curriculum across the school
- staff will be supported by a qualified sports coach and two sports apprentices
- all our pupils have an Education Health Care Plan (EHCP), we will tailor sports opportunities to meet the individual needs of pupils.
- we are very aware of the social surroundings for many of our pupils and we ensure that appropriate provision is made for pupils who belong to vulnerable groups, ensuring that the needs of socially disadvantaged pupils are specifically assessed and addressed.
Primary PE and Sport Premium: